On Monday, it was my son’s 8th birthday so I made this delicious cake for him and our family to celebrate! This is a traditional vanilla birthday cake with meringue frosting. My father calls it “drunken cake” because I make the cake syrup with Amaretto di Sarono. To make the frosting, which is in some recipe books called “7 minute frosting”, its better if you have an electric stand-up mixer like Kitchen Aid’s, in order to pour in the frosting syrup while the egg whites are being beaten simultaneously. You can also add food coloring of your choice to give it some color. I must confess, this cake is so good that I have to give away the leftovers because I am afraid I won’t have the self control of eating it all by myself with a glass of milk. Let me know how it goes…
Traditional Birthday Cake with Meringue Frosting
1/2 pound of butter (2 sticks at room temperature) and a little extra for greasing pan
8 oz. cream cheese (at room temperature)
2 cups of sugar
6 large eggs
2 cups of cake flour (sifted)
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
Frosting (should be done the day you will serve the cake)
3 egg whites (at room temperature)
dash of salt
frosting syrup (Dissolve 1 cup of sugar + 1/2 cup water+ 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract. Heat until thick in consistency like maple syrup.)
1/2 cup amaretto, brandy, cognac, rum or your choice of liqueur
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of water
1. Pre-heat oven at 350º F. In an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar with the paddle attachment. Add cream cheese. Alternate adding eggs and flour scraping bottom with a spatula occasionally. Add vanilla at the end. Beat until all ingredients are incorporated. Do not over beat.
2. Pour cake batter in a greased (with butter) bundt cake pan. Bake in middle rack for about one hour (check with a toothpick or sharp knife for doneness).
3. Meanwhile, beat egg whites and dash of salt in an electric mixer in high speed with the whisk attachment until soft peaks form.
4. Make frosting syrup (Dissolve 1 cup of sugar + 1/2 cup water+ 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract. Heat until thick in consistency like maple syrup about 15-20 min. Stirring occasionally in med-hi heat.) Immediately, add to egg whites slowly in a stream. Continue to whisk in high speed for about 5-8 more minutes. Set aside.
5. Make cake syrup by heating all ingredients over medium heat just until sugar is completely dissolved in liquid (about 8-10 minutes). Consistency should be liquid not thick. Set aside.
6. Remove cake from oven and let stand for about 10 minutes in cake pan. Punch holes in the cake with toothpick and slowly pour cake syrup over cake. Let cool and absorb the cake syrup for at least 30 min.
5. Remove cake from pan and let cool completely. Decorate with frosting leave at room temperature in cake dome.