My Arroz con Pollo recipe is influenced by a mixture of recipes and tips I have picked up along the way and is the result of trials and errors in the kitchen. Arroz con Pollo is a one pot dish that feeds a large group and is excellent to make on a Sunday afternoon for a late lunch/early dinner. Sometimes we have unexpected guests on weekends and we usually make this dish. Easy, simple and delicious. Everyone gathers around the kitchen area and is enthralled with the aromas that fill the house while this dish is being made. This Arroz con Pollo has a distinct flavor which makes it special and different. The result is a “wet rice” similar to a Paella. You may use a whole chicken or boneless chicken breasts. It serves approximately 12 persons.
Arroz con Pollo
1/2 cup canola oil
6 chicken breasts cut into 1×2 inch filets or 2 whole chicken (cut in pieces)
1 tsp of adobo
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 large onion finely chopped
1 cubanel pepper finely chopped
2 cans of whole pimentos pureed (7 oz each)
4 oz tomato sauce
2 tbsp juice of naranja agria (bitter orange) OPTIONAL
2 tbs salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 bay leaves (hoja de laurel)
4 generous cups of extra long grain rice
2 cans of Pilsner or light yellow beer (12 oz each)
generous pinch of saffron threads (add to beer and allow to bloom for about 15 minutes)
2 cups chicken stock
8 oz petit pois (green peas)
1 can of asparagus spears 15 oz
1. Season chicken pieces with adobo. In a large caldero or heavy bottom saute pan heat oil (med-hi) and saute chicken brown it a little.
2. Add onions, garlic and peppers and saute until trasluscent.
3. Add bay leaves, salt, pepper, pureed pimentos, tomato sauce and bitter orange and saute for about 10 minutes.
4. Add rice and mix with all ingredients.
5. Add beer and saffron mixture along with chicken stock and cook uncovered until liquid evaporates. Stir with a slotted spoon.
6. Bring heat to low and cover to cook until done. Once the rice grain is tender decorate with green peas, asparagus and slices of pimentos and cover again for about 5 minutes. Turn heat off and serve.