My sister in law Frances is an expert at improvising in the kitchen. For more times than I can remember, I have seen her juggle in the kitchen to feed a large group of unannounced guests with delicious homemade meals. This rice is inspired in one of her trademarks. She makes it in a rice cooker, but I don’t own a rice cooker so I make it in my caldero, chef’s pan or heavy bottomed sauce pan. In addition, she uses extra-long grain white rice which I substitute with Jasmine Rice. It is easy, colorful and a nice twist to traditional white rice. Also, this rice is aromatic and full of flavor. By making little changes like these in everyday meals we get inspired to get out of the routine and explore new possibilities. Accompany with filet mignon, grilled chicken or bbq ribs.
Arroz con Pimientos (rice with peppers)
approximately 8 generous servings
4 tbsp (1/2 stick) of butter
1/4 green bell pepper (cubed)
1/4 red bell pepper (cubed)
1/4 yellow bell pepper (cubed)
1/4 cup onions (coarsely chopped)
3 cups jasmine rice
1 tbsp salt
4 1/2 cups of water
1. In a medium size heavy bottom pan or caldero, melt butter (med heat).
2. Sauté onions and peppers until onions are translucent.
3. Add jasmine rice and stir to coat all grains with the melted butter.
4. Add water and cook uncovered until most of water has evaporated and you can see small holes in the top of rice.
5. Stir with a slotted spoon or large fork. Reduce heat to low and cover until rice is cooked, about 15-20 more minutes.